Wednesday, May 30, 2012

4 hour body dinner: bangers and fake-mash with sauteed onions and sauerkraut.


for one:
- 4 medium sized (preferably not breakfast) sausages
- 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of white kidney beans (called cannellini beans sometimes, but not in canada.)
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of sauerkraut
- 1 tsp gravy mix.

So first off, these don't really taste like potatoes. They pretty much look like potatoes, and have the approximate mouth-feel (my least favorite word!) of mashed potatoes, but they pretty much taste like beans. don't get me wrong, I like beans, and I like these. They're close enough to the flavour and texture of potatoes that you can sort of lose yourself in the pub-foodiness of this and forget that you don't actually get to eat potatoes anymore.

ingredients. I'm adding more pictures in an effort to make this more interesting and mask my ability to write out a recipe like a normal person!


so, boil a pot of water, open a can of white kidney beans and rinse them, and chop up half a yellow onion.

fry the onions in a pan with some butter or ghee, don't burn them but you actually do want to fry them, not just soften them. caramelize those babies.

boil the sausages in a pot of water for about 5 minutes, I feel like this helps draw out some of the fat, but I'm honestly not sure if that's true. transfer them to a pan, and fry them until they're browned and cooked all the way through.

note: I am using mild Italian sausages here, because they're the only kind I could find that didn't have some kind of sweetener in the ingredients. they were good, I probably would have preferred a bratwurst or something, but they were all sugar.

put your rinsed kidney beans into a pot and cook them with a little bit of water, some butter, and all the salt and pepper you'd put into mashed potatoes. mine were pretty soft to start with, but about 5 minutes of cooking and they were mashable. I used my Bamix (which is a fancy immersion blender) but you could probably mash using an ordinary potato masher, or even just the back of a fork here. I also added a tsp of gravy powder mix to the bean mash, in an attempt to make them taste more like potatoes. you could probably just MAKE gravy and it would add much more, but all my gravy mixes contained small amounts of sugar, so I minimized the damage with just a smidge in.

my stove is so tiny!


anyways, this is an easy meal. plate your mashed "potatoes" and add the sausages and the onions to it. I ate some sauerkraut with this because I like it, and it's good for you. fresh veggies on the side would have been good too. this is a super filling meal, and really has a comfort food feel to it.

quick meal, not too much else to say.

protein:  4 sausages = 52g (wow.) about a cup of cannellini beans, 15g, and 1g each in the sauerkraut and the onions. for a grand total of 69g of protein.  wow, no wonder this was so filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment